What is your "go to" fighting technique? Is there
one specific technique that you would automatically be inclined
to go with when the chips are down?
Put yourself into this scenario. You are suddenly
and unexpectedly awoken one night to find someone at the foot of
your bed. You sit up, almost in shock, and see the guy making his
way around the bed toward you. You have but a split second to jump
to your feet and he is in your face. What fighting technique do
think you would go to?
Of course you might ask me how close he was to
you when you got to your feet. Perhaps you would want to know how
big the guy was or if he was charging you, etc. But only given the
information I have given you so far, what fighting technique would
be your auto response to this threat?
Mine would be a palm heel strike to the face. Why?
Well the palm heel strike can be delivered quickly, directly and
somewhat comouflaged. It can land with devastating power and uses
the principle of the closest weapon to the closest target. It would
be my fighting technique of choice.
One of the nice things about a palm strike is that:
1. It can be delivered very quickly.
2. It can be delivered without telegraphing.
3. It is close to it's intended target.
4. It can be delivered from almost any hand position (it doesn't
matter if your hands are at your side, up in front of you or anyplace
5. It can be used as a "first strike", fighting technique, to stun
your attacker and then follow up with other techniques.
6. It can be used as a finishing technique, after your attacker
is slowed up or stunned.
7. It is fairly easy to hit a target using this fighting technique,
even under the duress of an adrenaline rush.
We use the palm heel strike extensively in Street
Self Defense 101.
Shihan Michael Pace